• Local government officials used
• Limited self-rule
• Goal: to develop future leaders
• Government institutions are based on European styles but may have local rules.
• British colonies such as Nigeria, India, Burma
• U.S. colonies on Pacific Islands
• Foreign officials brought in to rule
• No self-rule
• Goal: assimilation
• Government institutions are based only on European styles.
• French colonies such as Somaliland, Vietnam
• German colonies such as German East Africa
• Portuguese colonies such as Angola