Image of the organization or the creator of the product.
What is image?
Perception in the minds of your target audience.
Perception and Reality
Reality to the marketer is what is in the mind of the buyer.
Benefit of a great corporate image
boosts sales and profits
Consequence of a bad corporate image
hurt sales and profits.
Corporate Image Strategy Structure
1. Mission Statement
2. Create corporate identity tools
3. Identify your publics (stakeholders+)
4. Enlist your publics in your sales army
5. Train your sales army
6. Using promotion strategies communicate with your publics
7. Create positive publicity
(1) Make it clear what you do at the company level, (2) Identify your target audience, and (3) Focus on your uniqueness. This has to be concise enough so it can be easily learned and repeated by your publics while riding up an elevator in a small building.
Corporate Identity Tools
Name, Logo, Slogan, Colors, Font styles, Mascots, Jingles and sounds, Spokespeople, etc.
Market targets (customers, prospects, and suspects), Employees (past, present, and future), Media, Stockholders and Owners, Vendors, Bankers and Financial markets, Governments, Unions, Surrounding community, etc.
Everyone in your publics is a potential customer, employee, or referral source.
Train Your Sales Army
Teach them your mission so they can spread the positive word when they go to parties, play golf, visit USC, take me out to an expensive restaurant, etc.
If you connect them to your organization they will feel as if they are a part of it rather than an adversary, and they will help you.
Write articles and press releases and send to the media.
1. Rumor procedure
2. Fact procedure — No organization is perfect. They all make mistakes. When you do, and the word get out to your publics you (1) Admit and apologize to establish trust. (2) Limit the scope since most mistakes are made by small numbers. (3) Propose a believable solution so it won’t reoccur.
3. Turn – s into + s — As transactional negative situations occur between your company and your publics, use them as opportunities to neutralize the negatives and turn them into positives per the studies in the box on the right.
(1) Don’t publicize the rumor (denying is publicizing). (2) Promote the opposite without mentioning the rumor. (3) Provide proof to support
(1) Admit and apologize to establish trust. (2) Limit the scope since most mistakes are made by small numbers. (3) Propose a believable solution so it won’t reoccur.
Turn – s into + s —
As transactional negative situations occur between your company and your publics, use them as opportunities to neutralize the negatives and turn them into positives per the studies in the box on the right.
Why use “protect” strategies?
Known studies all point to the same result — If you properly fix a broken relationship between your company and publics, you will have a stronger relationship than if nothing negative ever happened between you and the stronger relationship will bring you more $.
Publicize your successes to a wider audience.
1. Promote successes. Using your promotional vehicles, put them in your ads, brochures, newsletters, Web site, and everywhere you can that does not annoy the target audience.
2. Empty spaces. Frame them and put them on the walls where your important publics congregate — conference rooms, lobbies, cafeterias, parking lot signs, etc.
3. Sales Notebooks. Give copies to your sales people so they can use them in sales situations to positively influence customers.
4. Distribute to your publics. Send them to magazines and newspapers online and off, TV and radio stations, market targets, and anyone else that can help to spread the positive word.
5. Opinion Research. Another definitive study conducted by Opinion Research, a well respected Market Research firm in Princeton, NJ, found that when deciding between similar products, 87% of the buyers select the product from the company with the best reputation.
What is brand image made up of?
Corporate image + positioning
Corp Image lift.
Use corporate image if it helps you sell the product.
Corp Image liability.
There are cases when you don’t want to mix the corporate image into the brand of the product.
Benefits of Corporate Image
– Sales and Profits
– Employees feel good about themselves
– Your company will not rot from the inside
Corporate Image as a competitive weapon.
If you have a great corporate image the marketplace wants to buy from you, work for you, and do business with you. With most, you will get the first opportunity.
How does the brain work?
how the human brain works.
– Protects you
– Likes Shortcuts
– Belief System
– Belief system filters
– Familiarity and comfort
– Designed to forget
– Get people to remember
– Tune In Filters
– Tune Out Filters